Instructions for Taking
First, you will notice that we request 4 different photos of each child in 4 different poses. This is because we will have several artists create a variety of different portraits for each child: paintings, drawings, color, black and white, etc. Once finished, the children will all receive an envelope of several different portraits along with printed copies of their photographs.
You can send the photos to us by Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer, etc. If storage space becomes a problem just let us know and we can create an account for you in Google Drive.
1. Please have the children or a helper write the first name of each child, the child’s age, and the child’s favorite color on a piece of paper like the examples below.
2. Please take 4 different photos of each child holding the paper just like the examples below. Ideally there will be:
- 1 photo with closed lips and head pointed straight at camera
- 1 photo with smiling lips and head pointed straight at camera
- 1 with head SLIGHTLY tilted to left
- 1 with head SLIGHTLY tilted to right
(Note: When the children turn their heads, it is VERY common for them to turn their heads too far. We want only a very slight head turn so that the children can continue looking naturally at the camera with both of their eyes. We always want the children to look at the camera.)
3. We understand that children sometimes do not cooperate perfectly. Therefore, if a child cannot follow the instructions, please just do your best to take 4 nice photos of that child.
4. Lastly, you do not need to rename any of the photo filenames. We will do all the renaming ourselves. If you simply organize the photos in folders based on the children’s locations, that will be perfect.
Photo 1: closed lips and head pointed straight at camera
Photo 2: smiling lips and head pointed straight at camera
Photo 3: head tilted SLIGHTLY to left
Photo 4: head tilted SLIGHTLY to right
COMMON MISTAKES (to avoid):